Persons who apply for a certified copy of a BIRTH OR DEATH certificate must produce identification in the form of one primary document or two secondary documents. (Note: Marriage certificates are not confidential records. Orleans Parish Marriage documents may be purchased without identification.)
A. Primary Documents
- Current state issued driver’s license that displays a photograph which clearly identifies the applicant.
- Current state issued picture identification that displays a photograph which clearly identifies the applicant.
- Current U.S. military identification card that displays a photograph which clearly identifies the applicant.
- Current U.S. issued or Foreign issued Passport
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550, N-570 or N-578)
- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-578)
- Students (high school or younger) – a current school yearbook or a current school identification document with a photograph which clearly identifies the applicant.
B. Secondary Documents
- Current student picture identification card from a college or university when accompanied by a 100% fee paid receipt for the current semester. (COUNTS AS TWO DOCUMENTS)
- A W-2 form issued within the last two years plus an original signed Social Security Card. The Social Security numbers must match. (COUNTS AS TWO DOCUMENTS)
- Original adoption papers
- Official certified deeds or title to property
- Certificate of vehicle title
- Insurance policy must show name of the applicant (Health, Home, Life, and Auto).
- Payroll stub (cannot be handwritten) showing the name and social security number of the applicant.
- Current U.S. military dependent identification card that displays a photograph which clearly identifies the applicant.
- Original DD-214 Military Discharge document which clearly identifies the applicant.
- Voter’s Registration application (certified true copy)
C. Hurricane Katrina Evacuees (BIRTH CARD ONLY) (For Hurricane Katrina evacuees that do not have A. or B. identification requirements)
- A student picture I.D. from a school, college or university
- Medicare/Medicaid Identification Card
- Official certified deeds or title to property in Louisiana
- Louisiana certificate of vehicle title
- Insurance policy (Health, Home, Life, Auto)
- Utility bill (water, electricity, gas)
- Social Security Card or printout
- Shelter Name Band (including the name of shelter)
- Pertinent information from the birth certificate that the registrant should know (i.e. Mother’s residence at the time of birth, Hospital of birth, Mother’s maiden name)
**IMPORTANT: IN CASES WHERE APPLICANTS PROVIDE OR ATTEST TO FALSE INFORMATION, THE INDIVIDUAL WHO SIGNS THE APPLICATION IS THE INDIVIDUAL PROSECUTED.